Self Exclusion Program FAQ

What is Self-Exclusion?

Self-Exclusion is a process that allows a person to request to be banned from all legalized gaming activities and to be prohibited from collecting any winnings, recovering any losses or accepting complimentary gifts or services or any other thing of value at any licensed facility. Self-exclusion only applies to the gaming floor of the licensed gaming facilities in the State of New Mexico.

How do I get placed on the self-exclusion list?

A person may have his or her own name placed on the self-exclusion list by submitting, in person, a completed request for self exclusion to the:

New Mexico Gaming Control Board
4900 Alameda Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM

Call (505) 841-9700 to setup an appointment at the Albuquerque office or for additional approved locations.

May I mail the self-exclusion application to one of the NMGCB offices?

No. The person filing the request for self-exclusion must apply in person to the NMGCB offices in Albuquerque or other approved locations to be photographed and you will be required to present a government-issued photo identification containing the person’s signature and photograph.

Can I place a family member with a gambling problem on the list?

No. A person cannot place another person on the self-exclusion list. Placement on the list is entirely voluntary and must be done by the individual seeking exclusion.

What information must I provide?

(1) Name, including any aliases or nicknames.
(2) Date of birth.
(3) Address of current residence.
(4) Telephone number of current residence.
(5) Social Security number, when voluntarily provided in accordance with section 7 of the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a).
(6) Physical description of the person, including height, weight, gender, hair color, eye color and any other physical characteristic that may assist in the identification of the person.
(7) Government-issued photo identification such as driver’s license or passport.

Please see Compulsive Gambling under our Forms page for instructions and applications.

How long will I be on the self-exclusion list?

The person filing the request for self-exclusion may request to be excluded from gaming activities for one of the following: One year (12 months); Five years; or Lifetime.

Can my name be removed from the self-exclusion list?

Individuals on the self-exclusion list can submit a written petition to the board requesting their removal by submitting a Petition for Removal from Self-Exclusion. The petition must be verified and provide specific reasons for removal. Within 90 days, the board will review the petition and decide whether to remove the person’s name from the list. The petitioner must prove that removal is in the public interest. Removal is not considered if less than one year has passed since placement on the list. Please see Compulsive Gambling under our Forms page for instructions and applications.

What will happen after I sign up for self-exclusion?

Licensed facilities must refuse wagers from and deny gaming privileges to any self-excluded person; deny check cashing privileges, player club membership, complimentary goods and services, junket participation and other similar privileges and benefits to any self-excluded person; ensure that self-excluded persons do not receive junket solicitations, targeted mailings, telemarketing promotions, player club materials or other promotional materials relating to gaming activities at its licensed facility; and may exclude self-excluded persons from their properties in other jurisdictions.

After a person is placed on the self-exclusion list, a licensed facility must refuse to accept the person’s wagers, will ask the person to leave the gaming floor and the person may be arrested for trespass. A self-excluded person who has gambled while on the self-exclusion list may not collect in any manner or in any proceeding any winnings or recover any losses arising as a result of any gaming activity for the entire period of time that the person is on the self-exclusion list. Any winnings issued to, found on or about or redeemed by a self-excluded person shall be remitted to the licensed gaming establishment and deposited into the Compulsive and Problem Gambling Treatment Fund.

If you need more information, e-mail us at